The Memphis Federation of the Blind is a chapter of the National Federation of the Blind of Tennessee. Our mission is to achieve realistic emotional acceptance and intellectual understanding that the real problem of blindness is not the loss of eyesight but the misconceptions about it and lack of information which exists. To promote the economic and social betterment of the blind of Shelby County, and the State of Tennessee and to serve as a vehicle for collective action by the blind of Shelby County. The goal of the Memphis Federation of the Blind is the full integration of the blind into society on the basis of equality with the sighted.
The Memphis Federation of the Blind meets on the third Saturday of each month at 1:00 PM CST, please contact the President for dial-in information. For more information or questions please contact Christina Clift, at 901-213-6446 or by email at: email@example.com.
Membership in this organization is open to blind persons and interested sighted persons that are 18 years of age or a member of our student division. Dues for the organization are ten dollars ($10.00) per calendar year.
Benefits to Members include:
- Participation in monthly meetings
- Demonstration of adaptive technology
- Nationwide networking with the blind
- Free subscription to the Braille Monitor (Published in print, Braille, and electronic formats)
- Peer support and mentoring activities
- Assistance with Braille reading and writing
- Assistance and support to adapt to vision loss
- Automatic membership in the state and National Federation of the Blind
- Participation in annual state and national conventions
- Information about and referral to community resources