Please note: While the best experience you will have is by attending our meetings in person, we understand that sometimes due to illness, business, transportation barriers that attending in person is not always possible. Thus, we want to provide alternatives so that you can still join us and participate with either our chapter meeting line or Facebook Live Feed. Here are the details:
Meeting Line Details:
857-232-0158; Access code 253955
Facebook page and “live” feed:
OFFICIAL PLEDGE OF THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND
Can you recite it? If so, you will win two tickets to the Dining for a Week Fundraiser, valued at $40! First to do so wins!
I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its Constitution.
Thank everyone for bringing donated canes, followed by the viewing of the newly released video of the 2019 Kenya You Cane Give Trip, in collaboration with AIRA:
President Riccobono recaps our protest (#LetUsPlayUs) of In the Dark, a new show on The CW, and also discusses the Kenneth Jernigan Convention Scholarship for first timers, the Distinguished Educator of Blind Students Award, the new Blindness Experience Teaching Internship, our membership efforts, and more.
What is the name of the type of mobility technique encouraged by the NFB?
Volunteer to play “Tap That What?”
Winner gets a door prize!
Approval of Last Month’s Minutes
Approval of Current Agenda
Guest speaker: Florence from Kenya. Discussion of albinism, vision loss, and disability in the Kenyan culture.
- Elections of all board positions: president, Vice President, secretary, treasurer, and two board positions. Only can vote or run if dues are paid.
Public Relations Report/Social Media
Active Facebook page in views, and likes.
Encourage to “like” our page and share with other FB friends.
Public relations will meet next week to come up with committee goals for 2019-2020.
Fund Raising Report
Presented by VP James Brown.
Great job by committee in calling, checking on folks, as well as sharing info on upcoming meetings.
- Reminder of stipend for attending national convention $250
- Meeting setup with Representative Cooper to discuss NFB national issues. on Tuesday.
- Raffle tickets for purchase-1 for $10, 3 for $20; winner receives $2,500
Remember: This is different than our Dining for a Week tickets.
- Step It Up Chapter Challenge-
How, when, and ideas?
- State convention reflections-Feedback to give back to the board: What went great? What could make it even better?
Feedback received: mentor program, strategically placed volunteers’s in past conventions, Bell Academy program info to be shared with soon.
- Updates to our website now regularly.
Birthdays or anniversaries
Eva Kyle Penn- April 5th
Ned Solomon in May
Vanderbilt Eye Institute
Woodman of the World Life Insurance
Stay tuned to emails regarding upcoming meetings and schedule
- Be sure to welcome everyone at our meetings, including old and new faces.
- Make a call, send an email, mail a card to individuals not present at the meeting.
- Let’s go build the federation with love, hope, and determination-turning dreams into realities!
^^^^ Want to make a donation or join our Nashville chapter? You can easily pay your $15 annual dues on Pay Pal! Send your tax deductible donation in Pay Pal to email@example.com
Now you can make donations and pay your dues on Venmo! Type NashvilleNFB and the amount you want to send for no fees or charges!
The National Federation of the Blind knows that blindness is not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles between blind people and our dreams. You can live the life you want; blindness is not what holds you back.
Together with love, hope, and determination, we transform dreams into reality.